Skills Assessment for trade occupations

If you’re a skilled worker such as an electrician, welder, plumber, carpenter, cook or motor mechanic, you may apply for a trades skills assessment. See a complete list of the trade occupations assessed by VETASSESS here Trade Occupations assessed by VETASSESS (236KB pdf)



What is an Offshore Technical Skills Record?

An Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) entitles the holder to an entry level provisional licence in a trade (subject to meeting specific State and Territory requirements). It also details the gap training the successful applicant will need to undertake when they arrive in Australia. See the Offshore Technical Skills Record information sheet (195KB pdf).

What is a Statement of Attainment?

A Statement of Attainment lists the units of competency in which you were successful. It is not a full qualification.

I have an Australian occupational licence. What can I apply for?

If you are currently licenced or registered to work as an electrician, plumber or refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic in Australia, you may be eligible to apply to be assessed under Pathway 2.

You do not have to complete a practical assessment if you select to be assessed under Pathway 2. Stage 2 of the assessment process comprises a technical interview of approximately an hour’s duration. During this interview, an assessor will discuss with you your employment in your occupation.

To receive a successful Pathway 2 outcome, you must have:

  • a current Australian occupational licence
  • a current Australian occupational licence
  • worked full time in paid employment in your occupation for a total of 3 years.

If your Pathway 2 application is successful, you will receive a migration outcome letter. You will not be awarded an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR).